Diesel dewaxing (MIDW™)
ExxonMobil’s MIDW™ catalyst technology and services provides high yields of low cloud point diesel. The process uses a proprietary catalyst that converts waxy paraffins to higher performance molecules, as compared with older technologies that rely on cracking. This results in a much higher diesel yield, particularly for deep reductions in cloud point.
Growing commercial deployment
Currently, over 10 MIDW units are operating around the world, with more than five under design. While many MIDW units are located in colder climates (Russia, North America, Northern Europe), where there is a clear need for winter diesel, there are units in the Middle East, India and Singapore that produce Euro V diesel for export. The ability to retrofit an existing unit with MIDW technology to capture significant value makes this one of the most attractive fuels technologies in the world today.
Flexible, adaptable applications
- Various grades of MIDW catalyst exist to suit unique refinery needs: catalysts for sweet or sour drop-in applications, as well as catalysts for standalone dewaxing reactors.
- MIDW catalyst grades are tailored to meeting refineries’ specific cold-flow specifications.
- Integration with complementary technologies to make clean, high-quality diesel.
- Combined with ExxonMobil’s process technology, MIDW catalyst can provide refiners with powerful dewaxing in winter mode while dialing back performance in summer mode, reducing giveaway.
The success of MIDW technology is based on continuous innovation at ExxonMobil.
New materials and processes generated by ExxonMobil catalyst and process technology groups are then further refined and rigorously tested for commercial applicability by process engineering experts, who also provide the technical support for unit commissioning. The most recent improvement featured the introduction of a base metal MIDW catalyst designed specifically for sour environments.
MIDW catalyst technology services include:
- Initial non-confidential consultations
- Development of proposal
- Basic engineering package, including basic design specification and operating guide
- Engineering support during front-end engineering design and engineering, procurement and construction stages
- Technology transfer, training, catalyst loading and startup support
- Unit monitoring support